Wednesday 31 December 2008

Hi, my name is: Oprah

So I'll admit it, I've gained weight. I figure if I write it out here for all the Internet to see, then I must be held accountable and actually do something about it. Like Oprah on the cover of O Magazine, except I'm not a multi-billionaire admired by millions. At least my vajayjay doesn't want to kill me, at least I don't think. Anyway I digress.

For those who don't know I used to be bigger. I'd say I was a "big girl" but I hate that Mika song "Big Girls you are Beautiful" so much it has put me off the term. I find it patronizing that a gay man is telling curvy girls they are pretty, because seriously, he's not going to sleep with me, so just shut up.

Back to me. This was me August 2007:



Then I met the South Beach Diet and the gym, so by April 2008, this was me, 3 1/2 stone (50lbs) lighter:



Which luckily shortly coincided with my wedding and honeymoon:


But now it's almost 2009 and I've put back on a stone (14lbs). How? Well I could blame a lot of things. I got a new job (which I love) and cancelled my gym membership because it was not close to my new office, forgot everything I learned and started eating whatever the hell I wanted especially high sugar type items and was in general busy and lazy as shit.

I don't believe in New Year resolutions, but I'm calling on all of you people who read this blog to hold me accountable. Sugar free, skim lattes are just as nice as full sugar ones. If I buy an exercise bike it's just as easy to ride the bike while watching "Neighbours" as it is to just sit on my ass and play online. It's easy "eat less, move more" and I'm going to do it...if Oprah can own up, so can I.

12 comments:

Married2MrWright said...

Love it! I'll be your cyberspace healthy living buddy! Like you, I have dropped the weight and then, through life's circumstances and me not putting me as a priority, I have gained some of it back. My goal is to drop 40-50 lbs. in the next 6 months. So, in addition to following Oprah's journey (again), I'll be checking up on yours. You can do it!

Caitlin said...

Good luck!!! And I'd just like to say that I totally agree with you about the Mika song.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you lady. I've gained at least 50 pounds in the last year.

I just want to be healthy. Let's do this!

Jennifer said...

Ok, I don't know you but I think I love you?

I am so with you (and Oprah) on this. I need to lose some weight as well and damnit, I am going to do it right this time! Are you doing the South Beach thing?

Anonymous said...

Best of luck!

KD said...

Good luck, and good for you :) Hate that Mika song, too.

Carolina Peach said...

I say more power to you and good luck! I´m with you on the weight loss thing....I think I´ve gained 15 lbs since my first miscarriage, and it´s time to get rid of it and back into my old clothes.

Sarah Wilks said...

Whatever Ryan...I am sure you look great. I know how much fun it is to eat desserts with a new hubby. :)
I am going to try to be healthy starting tomorrow too :)Happy New Years! - sarah schad

Mary said...

Damn you, holidays! Actually, I blame the end of daylight savings for my weight gain. Before that, I was running in the afternoon and then taking the dog out for hour+ walks. From one person who's lost a lot of weight to another, we know what it takes to do it. We just need to stick with the plan! Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself:)

Aisling said...

I'll be doing something similar myself.

Vegemite Wife said...

Brave, brave girl!! Good luck - and yes, low fat varieties ARE just as tasty. Find the book 'Cook Yourself Thin' for inspiration.

Elizabeth said...

I just found your blog through Brideface. I'm planning to launch a little blog post of my own tonight about my current weightloss in hopes of having others keep me on track as well.

P.S. I'm a knottie from Cincinnati and totally remember your frank advice towards peeps. :)