Sunday 20 September 2009

Rugelach

I attempted to make rugelach last year for Chanukah, but I was on South Beach so I used whole wheat flour, splenda and sugar free jam in an effort to make them SB friendly. Let's just say they weren't the most delicious things ever. So when my Grandma suggested I make rugelach for New Year's I figured, why not!

Rugelach are like a cross between a cookie and croissant. I used the same recipe I attempted to adapt last year since it is fairly simple and had good reviews and was comparable to recipes I found in my Jewish cookbooks. You can search "rugelach" on foodgawker and come up with all sorts of variations.

I don't like nuts in baked goods, so I just sprinkle the rolled out dough spread with jam with a bit of cinnamon sugar mix. I used Bonne Maman peach jam and strawberry jam (because that's what was in the fridge), but you can use anything you like!
Rugelach

1 (8 ounce) package Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup finely chopped Walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/4 cup fruit preserves

-Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gradually add flour, mixing well after each addition. (Dough will be very soft and sticky.) Divide dough into 4 portions; place each on sheet of plastic wrap. Pat each portion into 1-inch-thick circle, using floured hands. Wrap plastic wrap around each circle to enclose. Refrigerate overnight (or if you are in a rush, 2-4 hours).
-Preheat oven to 325 F/162 C. Cover baking sheets with foil or parchment paper (I prefer baking paper to foil as it sticks to the rugelach less). Mix walnuts, 1/2 cup of the sugar and 2 tsp. of the cinnamon; set aside (you can skip this step, I do!).

-Roll each portion of dough to 11-inch circle on lightly floured surface, lifting dough occasionally to add more flour to work surface as necessary (you will need to do this, dough is REALLY sticky). Spread each circle evenly with 1 Tbsp. of the preserves (try and pick out any big bits of fruit).

-Sprinkle nut mixture over preserves (or if you've skipped this, sprinkle with a tsp of cinnamon-sugar). Cut each circle into 16 wedges (a pizza cutter works really well).

-Roll up each wedge, starting from wide side. Place, point sides down, on prepared baking sheets; shape into crescents. Sprinkle with combined remaining 1 tsp. cinnamon and 2 Tbsp. sugar.
-Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove from baking sheets. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Liz Burton said...

They look gorgeous - you've got enough to feed an army there!