Sunday 21 October 2012

Easy Halloween Crafts for Toddlers

I LOVE Halloween. It is slowly getting more and more popular (or maybe just commercialized?) every year here in the UK which makes me happy. We are going to be in the USA for Halloween (yay!) but I still wanted to do some fun Halloween crafts with Blondie Boy before we left. It didn't make sense to carve a pumpkin since we'd be leaving and also since he's a toddler I don't exactly trust him with sharp knives. So we painted a Jack O Lantern.

The hardest part was my portion which was taping on the Jack O Lantern's face. I just took some masking tape, overlapped strips and made giant squares to then cut out the shapes I wanted. The eyes and nose were easy but the mouth was a little bit more fiddly.

Then I just let Blondie Boy go to town with some poster paints and he painted all over the pumpkin. Once it was dry I peeled off the tape to reveal the "carved" Jack O Lantern face. 

Blondie Boy is a boy after his Mom's heart and had me add some glitter to the eyes, nose and mouth. It actually kind of mimics the flicker of a candle so I think it turned out pretty cool.


He is so proud of it and always talks about "his pumpkin" when we pull in the driveway.

Since the pumpkin went so well we decided to make some hand Spiders that I saw on Kismet's Fate's Instagram. Again super easy but possibly messy--what craft involving paint isn't messy with a toddler? 

Paint one of your toddler's hands and have them make handprints on a bit of card stock or poster board. Then paint their other hand and make another handprint next to it making sure the thumbs over lap.
Let the hand prints dry and then cut around the hand spiders. It is quite curvy so depending on how good your child is with scissors they could do this themselves or you can do it. 


Then glue on googly eyes. I found it was a lot easier for Blondie Boy to glue on the larger eyes so we used them so he could do it himself.


We stuck them all over Blondie Boy's bedroom door to make it extra spooky and he took one to his Grandma's house for her bulletin board. Have you being doing any Halloween crafts?

14 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Love those spiders! Great idea. And that pumpkin is pretty cute too :)


Thanks for linking up with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!
Paula
lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Sooo cute! I love it! I have a craft party going on if you would like to be a part of. :)
http://sewliciousdecor.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/show-licious-sunday-craft-showcase-2.


xoxo, Marti

Melaina25 said...

The spiders are great!! We are doing monster cupcakes! REALLY yummie! Recipe on my blog www.mummysown.com

Melaina25 said...

Those look fab x

Melaina25 said...

I love these - especially the hand spiders. Definitely doing this with my boys this weekend!

Melaina25 said...

Just visiting as a fellow guest from Danielle's Sunday Blog Hop! A little late, but better that than never. Enjoyed this post, and think the spiders reallly looked like thr real thing!

Will be following, to see what you get up to next, and meanwhile would like to invite you over to my blog at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com. Think you would both enjoy the visit, and we'd all love to see you there! If you'd care to Follow us too, and comment, that would be terrific!

All the best. Isobel

Melaina25 said...

What a cute activity for the weeks before Halloween!!! Thanks for sharing it with us at Fancy This Fridays! We featured your fun idea today... http://www.trulylovelyblog.net/2012/10/fancy-this-features-98/

Melaina25 said...

So cute! I love the spiders. What a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. So happy to have you share again this week. :)

Melaina25 said...

HoHo! Clever boy! So cute!


http://www.oyeahbridal.com/

Melaina25 said...

Cute - love it! Such a nice way to get a toddler involved. We've got two pumpkins this year, so maybe we'll pump one like that and carve one under Ethan's instruction (obvs I'm not going to give him the knife!!) x

Melaina25 said...

Thanks for sharing this project over at Craft Junkie Too! It is part of our featured favorites this week -- so hopefully you can stop by to check it out, link up again and grab the featured button code for your blog. ÜÜÜ
http://www.craftjunkietoo.com/2012/10/tgif-linky-party-72.html
xo,
Tracy

Melaina25 said...

These are such cute projects, I love the idea to use a mask for painting the pumpkin! Thank you for sharing your sweet kid's crafts with us on A Crafty Soiree!

Melaina25 said...

What great ideas! I need to do something with my toddler

Melaina25 said...

They were both super easy and super cheap!