Sunday 9 June 2013

Working 9-5 & The Very Hungry Caterpillar

So I made it through my first week at work! It wasn't as hard waking up and getting my shit together to go to work as I thought it would be. It probably helped that the weather has been absolutely gorgeous this week and I've been waiting for the bus and walking to work in the sunshine, too! I might be less happy to leave the house if it was rainy and cold!

I've been taking everyone's advice of making sure all my clothes are laid out the night before and anything I need is already in my bag. I've been trying not to wake up NBH and BB so I've been using the guest room like my vanity and doing my hair and make-up in there before I leave. My only problem is getting my hair to look cute. More and more I'm convinced I need to do something different with my hair; I wanted it crazy long forever but now that it is it is more crazy than long if you know what I mean. If anyone has any style tips for fine hair that are quick and easy send them my way!

Work itself has been good. It is really great to be working with an organization where so many people are excited and enthusiastic about social media. I spent most of this week trying to get my head around things and attending a lot of meetings but towards the end I started to plan future activity  with another colleague. Next week I'll be sitting down to talk about work load and work plans and I'll have a better idea of what my day to day might look like.

There are lots of different lunch options around my office and I ended up with a huge new stash of nail polishes after wandering into Superdrug on my lunch break. Normally if I'm in a drug store I run in and out and NBH hates how I can window shop for ages so it was nice to leisurely check out different polishes. Wow that sounds really lame but it was nice!

I was worried about missing Blondie Boy's school show but then I decided to ask if it was okay to take a late lunch so I could see him. Luckily my new office is super office friendly and it was not a problem at all!




The show was "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and Blondie Boy was three plums! Cutest three plums you've ever seen right? The children all sang a few songs and then "acted" out the story of the hungry caterpillar before singing a song about a butterfly. Blondie Boy however spent 80% of the time like this:


He never chews his hands and sings all day every day so why he sat with his hands in his mouth who knows! The head teacher came up to say how he sang all the time and we were like oh yes we know! He knows all the words to every song on the Cars soundtrack and we have to listen it any time we're in the car! He did act out some parts and it was super cute though and I'm glad I didn't have to miss it! I know not being able to attend school events can happen to a lot of working moms so I was glad that was not something I had to deal with just yet!

So far my working life has been okay and everyone seems really nice! I've got two days in the office next week before we are off to Spain on vacation and then when I get back I'm off to Brit Mums Live and The BiBs! Two days after that it's my birthday--June is going to be a bit hectic to say the least without even adding in the new job! 


Let's be friends! Find me here:

9 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Glad your first week went well and you got to go see BB at school too, double bonus :)

Melaina25 said...

Congrats!!! It's great to be with an organization that recognizes the more important things in life, like school programs :) I glad you found that type of place to work!! RP has a "stage fright" tendency too, I think he it finally growing out of it though. It's funny how our kids can change so much depending on the crowd they face. Congrats again! I am so happy for you :)

Melaina25 said...

That's awesome that your new job is going so well, not to mention that they're flexible about work-life balance! Are you worried about going on vacation so quickly after you just started? PS your hair isn't looking crazy at all! Those curls look great :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks! It helps his school isn't far from work and NBH picked me up and dropped me off. So I really didn't take any extra time, just a late lunch!

Melaina25 said...

I told them that I already had the holiday planned before I started; it obviously isn't ideal but since I haven't really taken over any day-to-day stuff yet I think it should be okay. Flights and everything were booked ages ago so nothing I can do!


I only like my hair when it's curly but I can't imagine using the curling wand and copious amounts of hairspray every day would be good for my hair!

Melaina25 said...

It's weird right? RP isn't a shy, retiring type either so that is good to know. I mean you know what I'm like stage fright isn't really in my vocabulary! Thanks--it's a big change but I think a really good one for my career.

Melaina25 said...

Organisation really is the key to work-life balance. And a cleaner if you can afford it! Glad the first week went well, it's always stressful being the new girl.

Melaina25 said...

Great to hear your new job is going well. I love my job for the fact I can get away and have some adult time. BB looks so cute in his 3 plums t-shirt!

Melaina25 said...

The fun has just begun...try to get some rest on the weekends if you can. Continued success and have a wonderful vacation - traveling mercies!